Sunday, August 14, 2005

 

ROME TOTAL WAR: 1st real look


In the middle of the 3rd century B.C. (that's 200's) I, the leader of the Julii family, controlled lands of northern Italy, Gaul (France,) Britannia, Greece, Germania, Dacia (a large swat of East Central/Souther Europe) as well as Crete and Sardinia. With such vast resources at my disposal, I was pursuing the Gauls to their last hideout in north-central Spain. The Spainiards seemed an easy conquest on the way. This is the story of how the spanish kicked my ass. (CLICK ON PICS TO ZOOM)







My troops arrive from Gaul and northern Italy, and line up in a suprise attack on the Spanish city of Ostia, in the Basque part of Spain.







The battering ram gets ready to pound down the gate...











My Hastati (light infantry) throw their pila javelins at the Spaniards over their wooden walls









My infantry pour through the city gate, and as as we outnumber them heavily, it seems vitory is near...









Yet, the Spaniard genenral, a prince of the Royal family of the Spaniards, let me through, feinted a fallback, and then charged my men with his bodyguard of heavyily armed and armored cavalry, most from the nobility...








The Spanish general charges right into my men, along with his troopers...








My men begin to break while some of the bravest resist as the heavy horseman begin to break my line and my men start to run back through the gate...









My entire line collapses as the heavy Spanhish cavalry catches my many cohorts in the bottleneck of the Ostia city gate, and they start mowing my men down like the lawn.

















The Spanish general-prince hacks away at my men as his troopers chase other members of my army throght the gate. My virgin newly recruited troops are no match for the battle-hardned general and his bodyguard.

I clearly got cocky, not waiting for my own general to arrive on scene. The Spanish chase the remnants of my army to the coast, where the meet up with my general and some reenforcements and mercanries recruited from the Basque region fopr a 2nd battle.







This time my troops have the high ground and await the Spanish assault








My cavary attempts to head off a flanking move by the Spaniards as the Spanish infantry treks up the giant hill








Our cavalry clash








The cavalry melee continues...









My troopers begin to gain the upper hand...









...and clash...








...and begin to drive the enemy light cavalry away.














Meanwhile my piss-poor "town watch" militia style infantry prepare for the barbarian mercanaries hired by the spanish to attack.








Just before the two lines clash, I send my general and his bodyguard over to support my line...









As soon as the lines clash my cavalry break their mercenaries and they run like cowards...









But as my some of my cavalry chase them down, the enemy's heavy infantry and their infamous general fall on my flank...








The wise Spanish general-prince charges up and behind my men, elements of my cavalry that had been chasing the enemy's weaker elements turned around, but they were charging uphill...








The Spanish general has now reversed roles and has the high ground as his men pour down to thill to my line...









The Spanish geenral raises his sword in a gesture of victory as his men pour down the hill and ride roughshod over my men; my general escapes with his life but little else of my once grand army survives.

I had viewed this foray as a mopping-up operation against the Gauls; my Spanish "distraction" ensured I didn't even reach the final Gallic outpost. After thousands of Romans had bitten the dust, I sent a diplomat over to this same Spanish general and made clear that if he did not submit to the Julii family and the might of Rome, the full might of Rome would come to bear on the Spanish and would make their people but a distant memory. Realizing the resources I could bring about to crush him and his family and people, the Spanish submitted, and have since been a protectorate of mine. Still, they won a peace of honor; not a single Spanish city was conquered by a Roman army and no Roman has yet defeated a Spaniard; they are now our allies, but are subservient to Rome, under my jurisdiction. At a heavy cost.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?